Istrian Thermal Resort, Hotel and Polyclinic
The Istrian Thermal Resort is situated on the northwest part of the peninsula Istria in Croatia. It is 35 km distant from Poreč, 10 km from Buzet, only 40 km far from the Italian border, and 10 km from the Slovenian border. The Istrian thermal resort is settled in the untouched nature outside the city where greenery, quiet, and peace offer a particular atmosphere for your perfect repose.
The Istrian thermal resort is placed at the foot of the very famous huge rock, 85 meters high, with the mineral spring Sveti Stjepan on the underside. This spring is well known for its hot water full of minerals (13 sorts), with high content of sulfur and optimal degree of radioactivity, and it has been proved scientifically and in practice that it improves treatment of chronic rheumatic diseases, dermatological diseases, upper respiratory tract diseases, gynecological diseases, and post-operative rehabilitation.
This spring was used early as the antique times. In its vicinity were found inscriptions in stone, ancient Roman money, and jewels. The first written documents origin from 1650 when the bishop Tomassini wrote down: “A spring of hot sulfurous water rises in the forests of Motovun and flows into the river Mirna. The peasants wash in the water and treat rheumatism and many diseases of the skin.”
The first analysis of the water was made early as 1858 and the results of that time are not different from the present. Then the Istrian thermal resort was known under the name “Terme Santo Stefano” and its water was recommended in the expert and scientific circles as one of the best in the Austrian-Hungarian Monarchy.
After the Second World War, the Istrian thermal resort became a department for physical therapy and medical rehabilitation of the Medical Centre Pula, and in 1970 it developed into an integral part of the tourist company “Rivijera” from Poreč. A modern facility with 200 beds was built, the therapeutic offer was enlarged and the number of new guests from Switzerland and Italy was growing.